Where Science Meets the Wisdom of Traditional Food Knowledge
HN4U Our Journey With Food
Who is this program for?
While initially created for nurses eager to use food as medicine, this course is also suitable for anyone motivated to learn how to make delicious meals with health-promoting qualities.
Made to Fit Your Schedule
Recognizing the need for flexibility, we have used an asynchronous learning model that provides content online for individuals to access when it best suits their schedules.
Food and Health
Our health is dependent on the nutrients we absorb from foods far more than calories. There is a growing body of science supporting traditional food choices for sustainable health.
Today’s nurses must know they are recommending best science to their patients. So, in this course, you’ll not only learn how to use food as medicine, but also the science behind the claim. You’ll learn what food to use for what purpose and how science supports your understanding.
Committed to providing quality information, healthcare education professionals have evaluated this program for the nutrition and nursing fields.
A Dash Of Old School Home Economics
Home economics provided foundational information on life skills in the mid-20th century; today, this information’s loss adds stress, frustration, and food waste to daily lives. We have turned back the clock and incorporated information on those things that help individuals make the most out of their food budget.
Why You Want to Take This Program
We have to eat every day, so why not eat delicious food that supports our health – and often it is faster to prepare and costs less than eating out. Now you can learn how to utilize natural foods for health just like past generations.
We are surrounded by information, but the information isn’t full proof unless tested and has a real-life application. That is what sets apart a sustainable dietary approach from others. With over 40 years of practical knowledge, Dr. Karr provides choices, insights, and flexibility to Our Journey with Food.
This Course Will Cover:
- Nutrition Foundations – Utilize the principle of nutrition, sustainability, and mindfulness.
- Sustainability in Food Choices for Health – Demonstrate how to support client’s prescribed nutrition plan by using sustainable traditional whole foods, including ancient grains, legumes, tubers, sea vegetables, animal protein, fat sources, and seafood. Explores ways to overcome implicit biases associated with diet, cultural foods, and healthy lifestyles.
- Mindfulness in Food Selection and Lifestyle – Examine how acute and chronic food sensitivities and their prevalence affect clients. Describe associated risks, food/ingredient substitutions, and food preparation safety/methods. Explore empowering ways to overcome food insecurities for all ages.
Expanding the Conversation
Our journey will be holistic, encompassing aspects of our lives that affect health from conception to death. What we eat determines how our genes up-regulate or down-regulate genetic predispositions.
- Develop Sustainable Habits of Change – Empower clients/patients in their efforts to modify diet and lifestyle in a sustainable, holistic manner. Explain the principles of locally sustainable agriculture, the economy of home food preparation and preservation, nutrient synergy through food combining and fermentation or cooking.
- Nourish Life Skills – Examine various synergistic traditional food combining approaches, the utilization of traditional herbs, and the daily incorporation of movement and time in nature.
- Take the Battle Out of Meals by exploring the challenges associated with buying quality foods, benefits of bulk buying, and economy food preparation.
- Learn Ways to Empower – Appraise current scientific information pertaining to the health risks and benefits of natural or human-made chemicals and elements: water, heavy metals, naturally occurring environmental irritants, dust, pollens, smoke, and mold.
So let’s Begin the Journey of a Lifetime!
*Does This Course Qualify for Professional Continuing Education (CE) Credits or Contact Hours?
HN4U OnLine.Ed ~ Our Journey with Food, Course One issues a 25-contact hour Certificate of Completion.
- California Board of Registered Nursing 25 CE – *This continuing nursing education activity was approved by Purple Shoes Wellness, Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 16414 for 25-contact hours.
- National Association of Nutrition Professionals (NANP) for 10 CEs
- American Naturopathic Certification Board (ANCB)
*We have sought accrediting/licensing bodies most likely to be accepted to aid the professional. Each professional organization assigns contact/credit hour value.
We have sought out accrediting/licensing bodies most likely to be accepted to aid the professional.
“This course is a wonderful opportunity for all nurses to learn more about foods capacity to nourish and heal. Thank you Tammera!”
–Lynne King, DNS, RN, AHN-BC, Caritas Coach®
“All living beings need air, water, and food. Each organ and system of the human body has its own nutritional needs and preferences. Blood is more than red and white cells surrounded by plasma. Blood transports oxygen, endogenous and exogenous chemicals, and food substances to every cell. Each time someone eats or drinks is an opportunity to provide the body with the fuel it needs to function optimally, grow and heal. Understanding nutrition is basic to nursing care.”
–Kathleen Bell, RN, MSN, CNM, AHN-BC
“Cutting edge science, practical application for clinicians and clients, history to add context and more…Incredible Value.”
–Mary Hagood, FNP-C
“As caregivers, we need these tools to keep ourselves well. As we can ‘keep our cup full,’ we can offer wellness from the position of ‘fullness, and overflow’… to those entrusted to our care and service.”
–Lorrie Amitrano, FNP-C
“I’ve really been enjoying HN4U-Our Journey with Food, and am learning a lot of valuable information!”